Sunday, March 22, 2009

A splash of '08

The summer of 2008 was also pretty wet. but far better than '07. We were able to get out quite a lot. In May, I took the kids camping one weekend in the Mournes. The weather was beautiful and we went for a walk on the Sunday morning.



Climbing wise, well it was a mixed bag. For me, some climbs went really well, others felt like disasters. On some routes I really felt like I was back into it, only to really struggle on some easy route the following week. I came really close to giving it up altogether.

Undoubtedly the highlight of the year was our ascent of the Old Man of Hoy in the Orkney Islands in August. But that needs a post of its own to do it justice. The best thing about the climbing for me in '08 was visiting new areas, including Lough Belshade in the Bluestack Mountains in Donegal. It's one of the most beautiful crags I've ever been to, and as you're climbing you can hear the water lapping against the shore of the lough; very tranquil. Well worth the rather long walk-in.





We also went to Muckross Head, near Killybegs in Donegal. This is perhaps the closest thing the northern counties have to a sport climbing crag, as the climbing is five minutes from the car, and the routes are short so you can do a few in a day.





Another lovely climb was Quartz Gully at Glendalough. The crux pitch is a real corker!




I also took the kids to the Isle of Man in August; I've always wanted to go there and Nadia was due some off time after a long summer school holiday.
The boat trip over was very rough; Lara was quite sick, Jonathan and I were also quite green towards the end; only Nicholas seems to have great sea-legs! It was tough to be away with them on my own for four days, but I survived anyhow. The weather wasn't great, but the boys nevertheless took every opportunity they could to swim!



















No comments:

Post a Comment