Sunday, March 22, 2009

New Zealand - April 2008

In April 2008 I went out to New Zealand for my brother's 40th birthday. Paul and Heather live in Little River, on the Bank's Peninsula about 60km from Christchurch. They live on a smallholding, and keep cows, sheep, donkeys and chickens, and grow their own vegetables. With all those animals, it helps that Paul is the local vet. They also have two children, Daniel (13) and Rebecca (9). After a couple of years living in the existing house, too small for them all, they built a new one.



I was able to stay in luxury on my own in the smaller cottage.




The view down from the house, towards the sea. The name of the lake escapes me right now.



I accompanied Paul on some of his work rounds , including the castration of these alpacas.



Took a boat trip out from Akaroa, on a beautiful day.





Paul and I walked up Mount Herbert, from Diamond Harbour, and came down on the Little River side.










Then there was the birthday party, with its "mid-life crisis" theme. I dyed my hair blonde for the occasion (photo's not provided!).







A fantastic time, and good to see the old bugger after three years.




No comments:

Post a Comment