Sunday, April 18, 2010

With Nicholas and Lara on Hen Mountain

Yesterday I took Lara (10) and Nicholas (8) up to Hen Mountain, the first rock-climbing either of them have done in ages.

My goal was to climb the Boulder Route (grade Diff.) on the Tower, which due to its length has to be done in at least two pitches. Because both of them are too small to belay me, I was soloing, and then roping up one tied in the middle of the rope and the other on the end. Nicholas got really scared on the first pitch - granite can be very intimidating; in fact I remember being terrified on the Lions Head granite crag at much the same age. So I lowered him down and finished the climb with Lara, who did really well. I broke it up into three pitches, because I wanted to be close to help her climb up over the boulder at half-height - a very long reach involved for a little girl. I was actually glad at that point that I didn't have both of them on the route, so it all worked out for the best.

This is Lara emerging at the top of the climb up the final slab.




Then we went round the back of the Tower, and climbed an easier route up the ridge.


No comments:

Post a Comment